as of September 11, 2013

Thursday, April 10, 2014

March 31, 2014 – 3 Baptisms and an Englishman

Dear Mom, Dad, Lauren, and Ian,

Man! Titling these letters is so hard! They´re starting to sound silly! But really, those are the things I wanted to talk about in this letter this week.

Let´s start with the first part: We have 3 baptismal dates for the 12th of April! Two adults and a youth. One is named Elizabeth (yes, another, haha!), who was a reference.  She´s kind of like Felix and Santa in the sense that she searched for a long time for Christ and with all the churches she explored, she never felt right. That is, until she came to church with a friend in the branch.  She´s very sensitive to the Spirit and told us the other day that she knew the church was true!  The other adult is Ramon, a street contact.  He loved the church right away! He came to church yesterday and is surer than ever about baptism!  He´s also one of the smartest investigators we ever had.  He essentially explained the Apostasy and ministry of Christ to us, and correctly, too!  We were so surprised with his knowledge and how fast he accepted the Gospel.  The youth’s name is Miguel.  We actually taught him from last year but he´s been a little stubborn about coming to church, so we didn´t drop him but we focused on people we had that were progressing.  He started coming to church again and now he´s getting ready for baptism!  We´re happy for him!

Now for the next part, about the Englishman.  Yes, we met a guy from London out here.  We were on our way to a cita (appointment) when we ran into him at the same apartment complex.  I don´t remember how we started talking but as we went on he started to talk about religion, of course.  But he spoke particularly on faith and hope.  He said something about how he doesn´t have hope not because he´s sad, but because he´s “real.”  As he spoke, I couldn´t help but feel sorry for the guy.  He´s seen the worst of the world and now he thinks that´s all that exists.  He even said that churches were all the same; in it for the money.  I don´t blame him for thinking that; lots of churches have become corrupt through the years.  But we took the opportunity to at least invite him to read up on the LDS church, which he had never heard of.  Thank goodness he didn´t try and make us believe his beliefs.  It is a rare occasion where the other person we speak to only wants to tell us what his beliefs are and leave it at that. The thing I took most from this experience is that it only strengthened my testimony in the church. The gospel has shown me so much and made me so happy.  I don´t mean to speak badly about this man, but he believes the exact opposite of what I believe in.  The perspective of this man is no hope, everything is corrupt, etc.  That´s not happy at all. If there’s one thing that God wants anything for us, it´s that He wants us to be happy.  “Man is that he might have joy.”

That´s all I have for this week. I´ll try to take more pictures this week because I don´t have any :( I´ll talk to you all next week! Love you all!

-Elder Froude


Mom! I heard a song on the street the other day about being happy and I thought, Wow! This Could Be My Theme song!!  If a song is English, it would have to be super popular to be played here.  Is there a popular song over there about being happy? 

No comments:

Post a Comment