as of September 11, 2013

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

April 14, 2014 – Los Tres Brazos

Dear Mom, Dad, Lauren, and Ian,

This week I don't have much time to write a long letter.  The area's internet cafe is closed and we don't know why.  So, we're all (4 of us) sharing one computer and it's my turn and the others are waiting. So, I can't be long.

First of all, I want to say that I made it to my new area safe and sound and I'm adjusting well.  It's a part of the capital called Los Tres Brazos, or the Three Arms.  Usually, I don't like big cities and loud noises all the time but it's different here.  Here, half the city is a favela, much like the ones you see in the movies.  Favela is a Brazilian word for poor villages and huts and stuff, but I don't know what they're called here.  It's a pretty poor area. There are nice houses, of course, but once you hit the favela, all you see is poverty.  We actually have to avoid some areas because of danger and others because it just smells so bad. I can usually tolerate the smells here but some are really pretty bad.

I also received my new companion who I'm training. In missionary terms, I have a son now!  He's really cool and funny! His name is Elder Herrera, and like my Papa, my trainer, he's from Guatemala!  It's so funny how that worked out!  Anyway, the area I'm in technically isn't new, but it's an area that was split in half.  It's still a little tough getting to know such a large area but the ward here is really nice.  They're helping us out a ton getting to know the area. We're going to spend the rest of the week doing that, along with contacting and teaching…you know, how missionary work should be!  Haha!  I actually remember the 2nd night here, one of the AP's (Assistant to the President) called me and asked me how I was doing with the new area. I told him that "I'm doing more contacting than I had ever done so far, but then I thought, Yay! This is true missionary work!'"  He laughed.  So far, we have about 3 or 4 investigators, but there are lots of names in the area book we still have to find.

Wow, this actually turned out to be a pretty long letter, haha!  I should probably give my other companions a turn at the computer.  I'll write you next week!  I love you all and miss you!

-Elder Froude


No comments:

Post a Comment