as of September 11, 2013

Thursday, May 8, 2014

April 28, 2014 – Who moved my cheese? Quien se Movio Mi Queso?

Dear Mom, Dad, Lauren, and Ian,

First I'll write about the progress in the area, and then tell you about the awesome analogy about missionary work I heard in the Zone Conference this past week!

So the progress in the area is doing great! We're finding a lot of really awesome people. One of them is a family of a single mother named Vicky, who has a baptismal date for the 10th. We're also working on a baptismal date that same day for her two children (she actually has four but two aren't old enough to be baptized yet) to be baptized, but neither have been in the same room yet. We'd like to ask them together. I also realized I haven't told much about what the church is like here. :P I live in a ward now. It’s a pretty good size ward! I haven't gotten to know a lot of the members yet because a lot of them live in the other half of the area, where the other companionship works. We'll work on that as well! I don't eat with members as much as I did my last area, mostly because they live outside our area. Haha! But actually, the neighbors that live beneath us feed us quite a bit. They're so nice to us! Two of the neighbor's kids are being taught by the other missionaries and have agreed to be baptized as well! The work here is a lot better than it has been before, I hear.

This past week we had Zone Conference where the mission president, Presidente Hernandez ,showed us a video of a long analogy about missionary work called "Who Moved My Cheese?” (it’s a book as well) In Spanish, Quien se Movio mi Queso? It's about two mice and two little people that are in a huge maze looking for cheese. Both groups look hard for the cheese using two methods that work. They both find the cheese and are happy. The two rats repeat what they do without fail, while the two people start to become lazy and complacent, because they're sure that the cheese will be there. After a while, they eat up all the cheese. When the two mice return, it doesn't surprise them that all the cheese is gone and go looking again somewhere else. The two people return and are shocked that all the cheese is gone, and are preoccupied with their cheese being gone that they don't go looking for more.

The analogy is much longer than this, but the main thing I learned from this is to never become complacent. Complacency is laziness and missionaries shouldn't be lazy. Me personally, I'm always eager to find and find. I actually kinda felt that way when I blanked the area here. I had to change some of my working methods to find people again, and I found them! I'm also making sure not to become complacent either.

So I need to tell you about a man my comp and I met named Franklin. He's in Hios, mid thirty's and is paralyzed from half his body and down. 6 years ago he was shot in the chest and the bullet hit is spinal column. Back then it would have been fixable, but he didn't have enough money. Also, because he can't get the right medicine (now yes because his brother came to live with him) a lot of his lower body had rotted away. He told us very quickly that he wants to be baptized. I think that the Lord is completely capable of letting that happen. But I've never seen anyone like him before, we'll need a miracle. I know we have the authority to do that and all, but it doesn't feel like the time is right yet. We already gave him a blessing and stuff. I didn't promise him complete healing, I didn't feel like I should say it. But I did tell him that he would have the opportunity to bless the lives of those around him, and that he would have the opportunity to attend church and be baptized.

Everything's all good over here! Working like always. But I think I might have lost my camera... :P I left it at the other house on accident, but my old comp says he hasn't found it yet. Man! DX

Well, I believe that will be all for this week. Mother's day is coming up soon! I can't wait for that! :D I'll write you next week! Love you! I'm praying for you!


-Elder Froude

No comments:

Post a Comment